This radio was added to the schoolhouse in 1937 after the students raised money for it through a fundraiser selling instant gelatin. It was used to listen to news radio and educational programs, and it still works!
Many pictures of the District 5 schoolhouse and its students include this banner. It now hangs on the southern wall of the school.
Rural schools were not always well funded and this chair made out of an orange crate is an example of that.