It is believed that this building, constructed in the Second Empire style, was built by William Hedley of Medina in the 1870s. Hedley purchased land on East Center Street in Medina, and also purchased land near the canal aqueduct. During that time period, Hedley owned and operated a saw mill, stone planing mill, a flour mill, and a machine shop.
Maps show W. Hedley’s lumber yard office as located on Center Street. By 1913, William O’Donnell and Sons operated the lumber yard and later served as the office for the Marine Lumber Company until 1977 when it was given to the Cobblestone Museum by Erling Maine.