Lim-4, Erson, 7192 (Route 20 & 5) W. Main St.


    Building date: 1836

    Original use:

    Corner structures: Squared sandstones

    Mortar application and content: Vertical heavy

    Types and uses of stones:

    Types and choice of windows: Sandstone four-inch thick window sills and nine-inch high lintels.

    Structures with similar masonry details:

    Masons who worked on building:

    Unique features:

    Map Location

    Map views courtesy Google Maps street level view. Address is Google Earth confirmed; 42°54'12.77"N 77°37'01.76"W. Current owner of record, Young as of date (YMD) 190415.

    Town of Lima and Livingston County Maps

    Comments, Additional Information, References

    This house at 7192 Route 5 and 20 in the village of Lima was built in 1836. For a time it was used as a school house.

    The Barnard House

    Located on West Main Street in the village of Lima, this cobblestone residence was built in 1836 for the Rev. John Barnard, then pastor of the Lima Presbyterian Church. The house combines elements of Federal and Greek Revival, along with late 19th century Queen Anne style additions.

    The semi-elliptical wooden louvered fan with cut stone surround in the front gable end is typical of of the Federal style of architecture, waning in popularity in the mid-1830s when then house was built, the entrance with fluted pilasters, corner blocks and there part top the home's gable end to the street orientation, and the use of rectangular cut stone lintels are all characteristic of the Greek Revival architectural style, growing in popularity in the 1830s, when the wrap around porch with spindled frieze and the shingles, two-story wing are representative of the Queen Anne style, in vogue in Lima in the 1880s and 1890s.

    The home is also architecturally significant as an example of the cobblestone technology, especially popular in the Lake Ontario Plain and Finger Lakes Region of New York State from 1825 to 1860s. The cobblestones in the front wall are primarily red sandstone fieldstone's, but also include scattered round and oval lake-washed stones. Corner quoins are squared sandstones, as are the four-inch thick window sills and nine-inch high lintels.

    The house is significant historically for its association with Rev. Barnard. Born in Bolton, Worcester County, Massachusetts, he spent most of his youth in Rome, N.Y. Barnard graduated from Union College in 1813 and then went to Princeton Theological Seminary. He was first licensed to preach by the Oneida Association of the Congregational Church in 1816. After spending two years in missionary work in the Rome area as his father was in ill health, he came to Lima in 1818 to preach five sermons, although he was obligation to a church in Waterloo.

    When he heard a friend wished to go to the Waterloo church instead, he chose to remain in Lima. In 1819, Rev. Barnard was ordained and installed as pastor of the Charleston Congregational Society (later to become the Lima Presbyterian Church). He served as pastor of the church for 38 years and as clerk of the Ontario Presbytery for 50 years.

    He was so well liked he was known to his fellow ministers as "John the Beloved." Although Reverend Barnard purchased this property from Ashel Warner, a record of his life prepared by Joseph Page states he built his "pleasant cobblestone in 1836." After Barnard's death in 1872, the family continued to live in the home until 1879. In 1902, the house was purchased by Schuyler Gillette and remained in the Gillette family until 1967.

    Schuyler Gillette was an inventor and entrepreneur who founded the Gillette Bottling Works, a manufacturer of soft drinks. His products were shipped within a large radius of Lima and his customers even included hotels and restaurants in New York City. Gillette also invented a bottle washing machine which was distributed by the Bailey Engine Company in the 1880s. Gillette's wife, Minnie Markham Gillette, daughter of Augustus Markham, was owner of the cobblestone Markham house. Richard Palmer blog.

    Barnard Cobblestone House Wikipedia

    Lima, N.Y. Home-office of Bill Young...the man behind Harvey Wallbanger, by Mandi Harris, Photographs by Jim Laragy, Upstate New York, Sunday July 18, 1971.

    NoteNational Register of Historic Places Registration

    This property is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.

    Asset Detail National Register of Historic Places effective 8/31/1989.
    National Register of Historic Places Registration Form provides detailed information about cobblestone structure.
    Barnard Cobblestone House Wikipedia article.

    "Cobblestone Masonry", 1966, Carl Schmidt: Name reference, Heyke - Erson House
    Page 34


    Lim-4 Erson 2
    Lim-4 Erson 2.jpg ¹
    Lim-4 Erson 3
    Lim-4 Erson 3.jpg ¹
    Lim-4 7192 W Main St 1
    Lim-4 7192 W Main St 1.jpg ²
    Lim-4 7192 W Main St 2
    Lim-4 7192 W Main St 2.jpg ² May 1998
    Lim-4 Erson 1
    Lim-4 Erson 1.jpg ¹
    Barnard_Cobblestone_House_Lima_NY.jpg ³
    7192 W. Main St., Lima
    7192 W. Main St., Lima.jpg 4
    IMG_1976.jpg 4

    ¹ Image courtesy Cobblestone Museum.
    ² Photography courtesy Martin and Sheila Wolfish.
    ³ 19 April 2013, by Lvklock - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link
    4 Photography courtesy Richard Palmer.

    Home1 Icon CM00000