Reopening By Appointment May 1, 2020 (585) 589-9013

Cobblestone Tour of Homes-Sept. 15, 2018

The Cobblestone Society is pleased to announce the Cobblestone Home Tour, planned this year for Saturday, September 15th from 11am-4pm. This annual tradition flourished for over 30 years and was a mainstay on the Cobblestone Society’s calendar of events.

Event planners have lined up several great stops on this year’s self-drive tour that features cobblestone homes and buildings around Orleans County. Cobblestone architecture flourished from about 1820 until the end of the Civil War and over 900 structures were built in New York State during that time. Orleans County can proudly boast 100 of that number. The emphasis of the Cobblestone Home Tour is a focus on cobblestone masonry and its many forms of expression. Owners of many of the homes featured in the tour are graciously allowing ticket holders to tour the interior of their homes. This behind-the-scene glimpse of home interiors is a favorite of previous attendees and will certainly be a highlight of this year’s tour, too.

Those taking part in the tour are invited to set their own pace and visit sites throughout the day. A map and tour booklet containing historical information on each of the cobblestone buildings will be distributed to ticket holders. Tickets for the Cobblestone Home Tour are available at the Cobblestone Society, 14389 Ridge Road West, Albion, or online at Ticket prices are $15 for Cobblestone Society Members and $20 for non-members. Additional information is available on line or by calling 585.589.9013.

Cobblestone Church (1834)

In 1833, the First Universalist Society was organized at Fairhaven (now Childs) and a building committee consisting of John Proctor, Joseph Billings, and William W. Ruggles was selected. Built in the Federal style, the Universalist Church represents the oldest cobblestone church in North America. The building was constructed using fieldstones set in courses roughly 4 1/4″ high, with rough cut limestone quoins varying in size from 8″ x 14″ to 9″ x 23″. Bricks were used for lintels and the sills were fashioned from wood. Masons used the depressed hexagonal or “Gaines Pattern” of mortar embellishment.

The first resident pastor arrived in 1834, ending the cycle of itinerant circuit preachers typical of the burned-over district. Rev. William Andrews’ stay with the congregation was short-lived, and he left the following year for a church in Buffalo. Over the next four decades, the church saw numerous preachers walk through the doors, only to leave shortly after. Due to the rapid succession of preachers, the congregation closed the building’s doors in 1865.

The arrival of Rev. Nelson Snell in 1874 instilled a newfound zeal in the hearts and minds of the Fair Haven Society, which raised $1,000 to repair and remodel the building. During these renovations, the pulpit was moved to the north end of the sanctuary and placed on a newly constructed platform, the pews were turned to face north, and the old pew doors were removed. A mural was added behind the pulpit to give the effect of an out cove, and the white pews were repainted with faux wood grain. It is likely that during this time, the front brick and stone terrace was added.

After the construction of the society’s new church in the Village of Albion in 1895, the cobblestone building was used two times per year for summer services and the basement was rented out to the Balcom brothers for cabbage storage. In the 1920s, the tower was in need of repair and the society elected to remove it instead. In 1960, the State Board of the Universalist Church declared the Childs church abandoned and had considered selling it. To avoid potential demolition by commercial interests, the Cobblestone Society Museum was formed and purchased the building. It was during this time, in the 1960s, that the museum carefully repaired and restored the interior and exterior. The roof was repaired, broken glass replaced, woodwork painted, plaster repaired, interior painted, the mural repaired, the terrace rebuilt, and a concrete basement floor added. In July of 1964, thanks to a generous donation from John Brush, the church’s tower was reconstructed and installed.

The interior of the church is arranged to look as it would have in the 1880s.

Learn more