Museum Open June 1 - Labor Day 2019. (May, September & October By Appointment)

Cobblestone Ghost Walk-Oct. 7

Join us as we step back in time on Sunday, October 7th for the Cobblestone Museum Ghost Walk and visit several “ghosts” connected to the Cobblestone Museum’s past. Tour guides will lead you through a walking tour of about a dozen different locations on the Museum’s campus, including the cobblestone schoolhouse, the oldest cobblestone church in North America, and a cobblestone parsonage, all National Historic Landmarks.

Along the way guests will “meet” apparitions of such notables as newspaper editor Horace Greeley, who once owned the Cobblestone Parsonage; William Babbitt who superintended the construction of District #5 Cobblestone Schoolhouse and became Town Supervisor and served in the NYS Assembly; and Rev. Stephen Smith who gave the dedicatory address at the opening of the Cobblestone Universalist Church in 1834.

Visitors will also learn more about the history of our cobblestone structures and view many of the Museum’s collections. This year’s planning team is Brenda Radzinski, Sue Bonafini and Marty Taber. The team is recruiting about two dozen playful ‘souls’ to fill the ‘spirited’ roles along with a good handful of energetic tour guides to lead guests through the pre-arranged sightings.” The Cobblestone Museum Ghost Tour is included in the NYS Haunted History Trail for 2018.

Tours begin every 20 minutes beginning at 1pm and will last about 90 minutes. The final tour will set out from the lower level of the Cobblestone Church at 4pm. The event will be held rain or shine and a half mile of walking is required so comfortable shoes are a must. The tour also includes several steps, so it is not fully accessible.

The cost for the Ghost Walk is $10 for adults and $7 for Cobblestone Society Members. Kids 12 and under are $5 and those under 2 are free. Pre-registration guarantees a spot on one of 10 tours departing every 20 minuts. Registration can be made in person, by phone at 589-9013, or online at cobblestonemuseum.org. Walk-ins on October 7 will be accommodated in any open slots remaining.

Peters' Harness Shop

This building was constructed in 1838 by Starr Chester, a cobbler from Gaines, serving as his shop until 1880. Three years later on May 21, 1883, the building was purchased by Gates Knickerbocker, a local jeweler, who moved the building 300 feet to a new location and used it for a watch, clock, and jewelry shop; he paid $30.00 for the building. It was during his ownership that the “Western Style facade” was added. He used the building up until his death in 1914.

This building is peculiar in its use of lime mortar stucco over hand-split lathe. This sort of method would have been unusual for the early 19th century, and a rare method of construction in New York.

In 1922 it was purchased by Clifton Nestle and used as a gun and paint shop until 1939, when Floyd Berns purchased it to be used as a paint shop. In 1927, it was given to the museum by Rose M. Welles and was moved to its current location thanks to the generosity of Rice Homes, Inc. In the 1980s, the building was restored to its 1880s appearance. It now houses artifacts once used by John G. Peters, a local harness maker and cobbler from Lyndonville.

Learn more